Mentor & Former President
Prof. G.K. Narayana Reddy
Born on 24.06.1928 hails from an agricultural family of Gidnahalli Village, Chikkaballapur Taluk. He obtained his B.Sc. (Hons.) Degree in Chemistry from Mysore University in 1948. Thereafter he joined as Lecturer in First Grade College, Tumkur. After teaching there for one year, he was deputed on a scholarship to the Banaras Hindu University from where he obtained his Master’s Degree in 1951. He worked in Central College as lecturer till 1956. He was at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore for two years on a Government of India Scholarship to work on high pressure reactions involving Carbon monoxide and Glycols. In 1958 he went to the University College, London (UCL) to work with Sir R.S.Nyholm FRS in the area of Coordination Chemistry. For the research carried out at UCL, he was awarded a Ph.D. degree in 1961. On return from abroad, he continued to work in Central College, Bangalore, was elevated to a Readership in 1966 and to Professorship in 1968, worked as Head of the Department and Dean of Faculty of Science, Bangalore University. Later he worked as Vice-Chancellor of Karnatak University from 1987 to 1990.
Academic and Research Achievements
Dr.Reddy made significant contributions to the chemistry of Hydride and Carbonyl complexes of platinum group metals stabilized by tertiary arsines and phosphine’s as well as dienes and nitrogen donor ligands. Cylometallation was identified in some of the systems involving the latter ligands. He also initiated investigations on possible catalytic properties of some of these compounds with respect to hydrogenation of organic substrates. He was co-ordinator of COSIP-ULP in Chemistry at Bangalore University for several years and authored three books for undergraduate courses under this programme. He has published over 60 research papers and guided 10 Ph.D. students in addition to some M.Phil. Students. During 1979 under Indo-USSR Exchange Programme he worked at Institute of Catalysis, Novosibrisk. He was a member of a UGC delegation visiting Yugoslavia in 1989.
He has served as member of BOE and BOS of several universities in the country. He was member of Academic Council, Senate and Syndicate of Bangalore University.
Dr.Reddy has worked as Member / Chairman of UGC visiting committees constituted to assess performance of Universities.
Awards and Honors
In recognition of his research work, Bangalore University, Chemistry Department, Inorganic Division, received grants under Special Assistance Programme of UGC. Professor Reddy was elected Fellow of National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad (FNASc) in 1979 and Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi (FNA) in 1984. Prof.Reddy was awarded the 2011 Dr.Rajaramanna Award in recognition of his contribution to Science Education by the Karnataka Government.
- Professor Reddy worked as President of Karnataka Association for the Advancement of Science, located in Central College for 15 years.
- Prof. Reddy was local Secretary for the Indian Science Congress Session (1987) hosted by Bangalore University.
- He is a founder member of Janatha Education Society (founded in 1972) which runs several educational institutions named after Swami Vivekananda, in Bangalore. He has worked / is working as the President of Janatha Education Society.
- He worked as Coordinator in Karnataka (for ten years) for North – South Foundation (NSF) a Chicago based NRI Organization that awards scholarships to deserving students across over 16 states in India.
- He is a Trustee and President of SRNG Sampannappa Charities founded in 1978 a charitable institution that runs a free students hostel in Bangalore.
- He is the founder President of Vagdevi Educational and Rural Welfare Trust founded in 2009.